There are two main types of problems related to pregnancy. They are Pregnancy Toxemia and Abortions.
- Pregnancy Toxemia
This is a problem in the late pregnancy, normally the last month and especially last two weeks. It is normally related to a doe with multiple kids. During the last two months, the kids are adding 70% of their birthing weight. During the final weeks, there is additional nutritional requirements for the kids as they continue to increase in size and there is less and less room for the rumen to hold the same amount of food. The goat’s body will give the kids nutritional needs the priority at the expense to the mother. She may not be able to consume enough nutrition and the body will start converting the mother’s carbohydrates stored in her tissues. This leads to the release of keton bodies into her blood – a sign that her metabolism is faulty.The symptoms will be a loss of appetite, not wanting to get up or move around, sweet-smelling breath (rapid breathing), limping and swelling of feet or walking very tenderly. Give the affected doe propylene glycol twice a day in the morning and afternoon. You can also create a mixture of sodium bicarbonate with water and give it twice a day morning and afternoon for 3-5days.Help get the doe up and moving around during the day and offering her high energy food.
Abortion can either due to nutritional problems or infectious diseases
- Nutritional Problems
Proper nutrition is essential for having healthy kids. Simultaneous deficiencies of energy and protein can cause abortion of embryos early in the pregnancy. Deficiencies of some trace minerals such as copper and iodine can be the cause of abortions.
- Infectious Problems
An abortion by one or more of the goats in your herd may indicate an infectious disease that needs an overall management response. It is likely that your vet will be required to identify the type of infection causing the problem. Sometimes buying breeds from unknown places that comes with very many viruses also causes abortion. Prevent abortion and related diseases that may cause it by ensuring goats’ health. Come in contact with skilled people to guide you
- At kimd construction and farm consultants ltd, we have quality nutritious pastures feeds and seeds for goats at cheap prices. Avoid giving your animals unknown grasses because it may cause abortion in goats
- The company has quality breeds of goats of all types at affordable prices and supplies world wide
- We have professional vets to treat your animals against diseases. Avoid using ignorant vets because they can kill your animals with under or over dose.
- The company constructs standard goat structure, free from disease causing virus and at a cheap cost and allows installment payments
- The company also offer consultancy services, business plans and proposals, free training of farmers, among other services. Don’t get stressed when kimd has everything you need for a successful goat farming business. For details, find us on all social media platforms (kimd construction and farm consultants ltd) our website page at kimd.org or call directly on 0789058152
The following are the infections that cause abortion:
- Chlamydiosis – caused by an intracellular organism. Abortion typically occurs in the last 2 months of pregnancy and especially the last 2 weeks. You should consider injecting pregnant does with tetracyclines by the intramuscular rout to try and prevent them from aborting.
- Toxoplasmosis – this is associated with a coccidium of cats. Cats become infected by consuming uncooked meat scraps, placentas, and small rodents. Goats become infected by eating grass, hay or grain contaminated by cat feaces. It can result in abortion, stillbirths and weak kids. However, reducing exposure to cat may help but in may lead to an increase in rats that carry other diseases.
- Q Fever – a bacterial disease capable of being transmitted from animals to people caused by Coxiella burnetii, a rickettsial organism. C. burnetii may be found in sheep, cattle, goats, cats, dogs, some wild animals (including many wild rodents), birds, and ticks. Animals shed the organism in their urine, feces, milk, and especially in their birth products. Abortion or stillbirths occur in late pregnancy, but only when the placenta has been severely damaged. Treatment is with tetracycline. Placentas and aborted fetuses should be destroyed by burning.
- Brucellosis – brucella organisms infect a goat’s placenta and udder, causing abortion and mastitis. When goats in an endemic herd are in a stressful environment and management is not adequate to control nutritional and parasitic diseases, then abortion will occur in the last 2 months of pregnancy.
- Listeriosis – caused by listeria monocytogenes a ubiquitous organism that may be found in soil, water, plant litter and digestive tract of ruminants. Abortions occur in the last 2 months.
Treatment is usage of tetracyclines.
Note that, tetracyclines work perfect in preventing and treating most abortion infections.
When you fear to fund your business with quality requirements don’t expect success and you won’t escape daily challenges. Come to kimd construction and farm consultants ltd today and we provide you with quality requirements that will make you earn 80% profits in the business and at a very cheap cost. Visit our website at kimd.org for more of our services thank you!