CROSS BREEDING IN GOATS
is a way of realizing quicker genetic improvement than by selection, matching genotype with the environment and benefiting from the complementarity of the breeds involved.
REASONS FOR CROSS BREEDING
1) To exploit the phenomenon of heterosis ( increase in performance or function above what is expected based on the parents of the offsprings) / hybrid vigor.
2) Breed effects and complementarity, if any.
3) An initial stage in the transition to another breed.
4) Provide a base population for use in the establishment of a new breed.
BENEFITS OF CROSS BREEDING
* It increases reproductive fitness that is it improves the carcass mass of goats.
* It leads to faster growth rates and longevity.
* It leads to more milk production.
Cross breeding involves the mating of animals from two breeds.
The breeds chosen have complementary traits that will enhance the offsprings economic value.
The selection of parents for their potential genetic contribution to a trait is the most *important* thing to consider.
For more information visit our webpage at kimd. org *