When you start buying feed for your goats, you’ll undoubtedly want to consider what they like to eat, as some owners find their animals will eat relatively anything. In contrast, others note that their goats are particularly picky eaters. Goats can be fed different forages including shrubs as long as they are not poisonous to the goats. In addition, grain feed can be fed but a farmer should be careful because too much of them cause health problems in goats.
What to feed your goats
One of the most important things to have on your farm for any animal is hay. It is an essential resource that can also be a substantial source of nutrition for your goats, especially if they don’t tend to forage. Making hay is one of the best ways to increase the year-round carrying capacity of the fa. If hay is harvested at the proper stage of plant growth and undamaged by weather, it can provide nutrients at the lowest possible cost. Hay serves the following purposes;
- Feeding hay to livestock helps reduce the amount of concentrate feeding as well as the cost of feeding animals in the dry season
- It conserves excess forage during rainy season for use during the dry season when forage is scarce
- It produces a cost-effective, nutritional livestock feed.
The first task is to choose when to start making hay. It is usually best at the end of rains when there is plenty of sunshine and plenty of forage. Hay can be made from planted or natural pastures. Crops with thin stems and more leaves are better suited for haymaking as they dry faster than those with thick, pity stem and small leaves and they include: alfalfa, sugarnapier, desmodium and other grasses
This is the best time to start planting in preparation for hay and silage. Don’t wait for rains to end as it will disorganise your business
Come to kimd construction and farm consultants today and get quality seeds for hay and silage making at an affordable cost
We also have hay and silage in stock to supply to farmers under zero grazing at cheap prices
We offer deliveries wherever our clients are and guiding them from the time of planting till harvesting
We also construct standard animal shelters, offer veterinary services, livestock sales, business plans and proposals, farm designs, consultancy services among others
Silage is actually fermented and high-moisture stored fodder which can be fed to cattle, goat,sheep and other such ruminants or cud-chewing animals. Silage is especially very good for the animals during the dry seasons. it is highly palatable, laxative, digestible, nutritious and it requires less floor area for storage. Silage is generally made from grass crops including sorghum, maize, barley, oats, millet or other cereals. It serves the following purposes to animals;
- Silage is full of nutrients for the animals and it is good for their health.
- Silage ensures high milk and meat production and keeps the animals healthy.
- It increases the overall production and keeps the animal healthy.
- Silage is used to make the animals gain more weight in short period.
- It is used as animal fodder and can be fed to most of the animals such as cattle, buffaloes, sheep and goats
Don’t fail in goat business when kimd construction and farm consultants ltd is committed to serving you and solving all farming solutions.
VISIT OUR SHOP SECTION FOR DETAILS OR CONTACT US ON 0789058152
sharing is caring!